This competition has now closed
Thank you to all those that have entered
the Plan: you write a blog, enter our competition and get the chance to win a trip to see one of our projects in Ethiopia, Africa.
We are pleased to announce that Guardian Global Development is running the Blog4Girls competition in partnership with Plan UK, and has launched the competition on the Guardian’s Global Development web site.
The competition aims to stimulate discussion across the UK bloggers’ networks on the major issues currently affecting girls’ education in the developing world.
Use your words to help us highlight these issues and raise awareness of our work in helping girls to move themselves from a life of poverty to a future with opportunity.
The theme: Breaking the barriers to girls’ education in the developing world
Explore the theme in general or focus on:
- The impact of poverty on girls’ education (e.g. family income; costs of schooling)
- The impact of cultural attitudes on girls’ education (e.g. early/forced marriage)
- The impact of disasters & post-conflict on girls’ education (e.g. infrastructure; violence)
Some useful info & key facts around each barrier
The best blogger will be taken on a 5-day trip to Plan Ethiopia in Africa to visit some of our projects first-hand!
They will have the opportunity to see our work and meet some of the communities we work with. They’ll also do a daily video diary during the trip and upon returning to the UK, write a blog post about their experience.
The two shortlisted bloggers will each get £30 worth of books from Random House publishers.
How to enter
- Write a blog post that is 400 – 600 words of original content
- Publish it within your blog and send us the link or email it to Blog4Girls@plan-international.org.uk with your full name, address, contact no and age
- Spread the word via twitter using #blog4girls
Deadline for entry submissions: 6pm 8th June 2011 (GMT)
You need to be a UK resident; over 18 years old; available to travel 20th – 25th June or during September 2011.
View our Terms and Conditions
Angie Greaves - Magic FM radio
Elinor Shields - Mumsnet Network
Liz Ford - The Guardian
Sue Keogh - Media Week’s Wall Blog
Meet our Judges!
What are we looking for?
We all know there are a few things that transform a good blog post into a great one. Our Blog 4 Girls judges are searching for an entry which stands out from the crowd and not only grabs your attention, but keeps it.
Blog posts need to:
- Be well-written, passionate, compelling and informative.
- Include back links to our Because I am a Girl sections www.plan-uk.org/becauseiamagirl
- Be shared across online platforms to get increase exposure